Wednesday, April 23, 2008

LIBRARY THING

Library Thing is just up my alley, as a book reader and library worker. I love the way you can rate and review the books you have read and the way you can see what other people, who have read the book you have read, are reading.

I find it hard to find books that I like. This is going to be a great tool not only for my own reading but also for finding books that other people would like. I could see if you were in acquisitions or the home library service this would be a great resource for finding stuff.

I am occasionally asked to recommend books for borrowers particularly young borrowers (often boys) and either think of things I liked as a boy or I see other people reading. I also get the book lists out that we keep behind the desk or the books we have in the reference section such as "Who else writes like..."(I hope I got this title right). For the avid reader that is trying to find more things to read, and is comfortable with the internet, this could be very useful. I can see it adding one more thing I can recommend to people to find more reading material.

Adieu for now

2 comments:

pls@slnsw said...

Do you think your library will include tags in the catalog alongside subject headings sometime in the future?
Mylee (PLS)

wscaster said...

Love the Who Else Writes Like book...it has saved me more than once! One of my work mates loves a website:
http://www.fantasticfiction.com
It's well worth a look for finding authors of a particular genre or what's coming out soon. The only draw back is that it is a British site. But still work a look.