Wednesday, May 21, 2008

MASHUPS

MELVIL DEWEY SAYS !
The big huge labs are a lot of fun. This picture is an example of a possible library poster I created with it. I also had a lot of fun Warholizing a photo of a friend but I don't know if it has that much relevance to a library.
It seems like the most prevalent mashups have a map and then photos which appear when you click on different points of that map. I could see this being very useful to show the various libraries that comprise my network, to illustrate a local history walk or even a map of the library with pictures as to what you would see there. I suppose that could also be maps with audio links instead of pictures (for example oral history tapes). Some of the "big huge lab" functions could be good for library promotions such as for making posters or calenders.
Most of it though I found a bit gimmicky. I was a bit confused as to whether you would call all of the things "big huge labs" did Mashups. The program I use to alter and enhance my photos (gimp) does similar things, would you call those mashups as well? Would you call the aqua browser on the queens library website a mashup?
I found it very hard to find other mashups that didn't include a map of some kind.
cheers

No comments: