Friday, May 23, 2008

ONLINE PRODUCTIVITY TOOLS


I'm amazed that you can do word processing through the internet rather than through a pc program. I tried both Google docs and Zoho. Zoho had more features, although I couldn't figure out what some of them did, but they were both very similar. I imagine that these were started as competition for microsoft and their word processing programs, although I can see that their "wiki-like" functions are unique in there own right. We charge $3 per hour to do word processing in our library, I wonder if people can use these online tools on the free terminals that we have.


I'm amazed at all the free productivity tools there are available. From Tada to Slideshare; you could start a company just thinking up names for these software companies. If the internet becomes more easily accessible I wonder if google docs will supercede microsoft word programs? This could be the end of the memory stick.


These could be very useful in a library situation. For doing power point presentations or writing a document with coworkers, altering images or audio, doing spreadsheets. The cost factor could make it very attractive also. I don't know how much we pay for our word processing software but having a free word processer could mean we could offer it for free to our library users.


Until next time,

No comments: